- of RAILS & SAILS – The Life of Arthur Curtiss James
premiered in Newport, R.I. September 17, 2017
- ENERGY ON TRIAL (writer), an independent film/documentary, released in May, 2011
- 1992: Co-authored story for the feature film, WIND (Zoetrope Studios); screen credit.
- THE MEDAL MAKER – The Life of Victor Kovalenko, The Medal Maker (AltamiraCreation, Zurich, June, 2017) Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo Books
- CLOSING THE GAP -- World Sailing's Emerging Nations Program (World Sailing, London, 2016)
- THE STRENUOUS LIFE OF HARRY ANDERSON, Mystic Seaport, Mystic, CT, 2013
- SAILING ON THE EDGE (Contributor) Insight Editions, Div. of Palace Publishing, London, 2013)
- DROPPING THE GLOVES-- Inside the fiercely competitive world of professional hockey
by Player, Coach, ESPN/NHL analyst Barry Melrose with Roger Vaughan
(McClelland&Stewart, Toronto, October 2012)
- GOLF, THE WOMAN'S GAME
Stewart, Tabori & Chang New York 2001
- MUSTIQUE II
(Maiden Lane Publishing, 2000 (illus) writer/editorial director.
- LISTEN TO THE MUSIC The Life of Hilary Koprowski
- TONY GWYNN'S THE ART OF HITTING
GT Publishing, New York 1998
- NASCAR, THE INSIDE TRACK
Artisan Books, 1996 (illus.)
Maiden Lane Publishing, 1994 (illus.) writer/designer/editorial dir.
- AMERICA'S CUP XXVII, The Official Record
Stars and Stripes 1988, DC Sports, Inc, San Diego 1988 (illus.) writer/designer /editorial dir.
- HERBERT VON KARAJAN
Weidenfeld & Nicholson, London 1986 W.W.
Norton Co., New York(published in seven languages)
- FASTNET, ONE MAN'S VOYAGE
Seaview Books, New York 1980
- TED TURNER, The Man Behind the Mouth
Sail Books (Norton), Boston 1978
- RHODE ISLAND, a scenic discovery (Foremost Publishers, Providence, RI, 1976)
- THE GRAND GESTURE
Little Brown & Co., Boston 1975
- FISHING GONE (a play in one act) the plight of the watermen on Chesapeake Bay. (The play was produced and published in book form in 2009)
- LETTERS FROM THE EARTH (pilot for series based on novella by Mark Twain)
Work in Progress:
- THE PRIVATE WORLD OF ARTHUR CURTISS JAMES - railroad baron, yachtsman, one of America's ten wealthiest men in 1930.
A biographical portrait.
- SMART GUYS - at play in the reality distortion fields / Some people behind the information technology cycle; with Tom Bentley
- FLASHING LIGHTS IN THE REAR VIEW MIRROR - a novel
- 2005-6-7: daily web reports for ESPN and other sites on Key West Race Week, Miami Olympic Classes Regatta
- 2006: writer/producer for 58 reports for Virtual Spectator (vssailing.com) on the Volvo Ocean Race Round the World (Gary Jobson, presenter)
- 2011-2012 National Sailing Hall of Fame thumbnails of inductees at www.nshof.com
- 2012 Contributor, America's Cup Discovered on You Tube at www.americascup.com
- 2008 MAINE BOAT BUILDING, ART AND SOUL (writer/director 50 min)
- 2008 SAILING FOR AMERICA (the 2008 Olympic Team / writer / 30 min)
- 2007 STEP UP Outward Bound video / director, writer (50 min.) background image
- 2006 SEAMENS CHURCH INSTITUTE video / director, writer 40 min.
- 2006 Volvo Ocean Race Round the World, with Gary Jobson, presenter. 60 min.
- 2004 Producer/director/ writer CRUISING FASTOyster Marine at 30
- 2003 Producer/director/writer: UBS OYSTER REGATTA PALMA
- 2002 Producer/director/writer: PARTNERS Mustique & St.Vincent and the Grenadines
- 2001 Director, writer / 80 DEGREES NORTH (ESPN TV 60 minutes)
- 1997-98 Co-producer / writer THE WHITBREAD ROUND THE WORLD RACE
- 1997 writer EXPEDITION ANTARCTICA (two-part series)
- 1996 Co-producer, writer BONANZA IN SAVANNAH (1996 Yachting Olympics)
- 1994 writer WITH SWELLING SAILS / NYYC Sesquicentennial Celebration (Walter Cronkite, narrator)
- 1994 Co-producer, writer HIGHER AND FASTER--theAmerica's Cup (Louis Vuitton)
- 1993-94 writer THE WHITBREAD ROUND THE WORLD RACE (60 min.)
- 1992 writer THE AMERICA'S CUP (1 hour)
- 1989-90 writer THE WHITBREAD ROUND THE WORLD RACE (110 min.)
Television: (all ESPN--writer): U.S. Olympic Trials 1996, CALL TO GLORY (12 shows); America's Cup 1988, 1994, 2000, 2003 (all live and taped shows); Whitbread Race 1990, 1994, 1998; 2002(all live and taped shows); Quest for Speed (60 min.); Cape Horn (60 min.); Ultimate Sailing 1994, 1995 (series); Year in Sailing 1995 (60 min.)-2002; Expedition Antarctia (two 60 min.); Jackie Robinson anniversary show (60 min); BT Challenge; 80 Degrees North Under Sail (60 min); Voyage to the Edge, the 2005-2006 Volvo Ocean Race (60 min.); Acura Miami Race Week 2007, 2008.
Periodicals: 2001--2009 I wrote 3-4 profiles a year of their owners for Oyster Marine, builders of high end cruising sailing yachts (OYSTER NEWS, UK)
Current: freelance writer--print, video, television Member: Writers Guild of America East
James Fitzgerald Agency, New York
Abner Stein Agency, UK
Assignment Travel has included: China, Nepal, Spitsbergen (Arctic Circle, under sail), Australia, New Zealand, South America (Peru, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay), Cape Horn (Antarctic Circle, under sail), Northwest Territories (Arctic Circle, by canoe), Europe, Central America, Caribbean, Fiji, Hawaii, 44 of the contiguous United States.
People have always been my focus and major interest. Here is a partial list of people I have written about:
|Walter Cronkite||Broadcaster (CBS)|
|Ted Turner||Media/Sports magnate|
|Roy Disney||Disney Studios|
|Bob Derecktor||Boat builder, designer|
|Rod Stephens||Boat guru|
|Olin Stephens||Boat designer|
|Billy Graham||Religious Icon|
|Charlie Morgan||Boat designer|
|Malcolm Forbes||Publisher (Forbes Magazine)|
|Irving Johnson||Sailor, educator, lecturer, writer|
|Mstislav Rostropovich||Musician (cellist)|
|Herbert von Karajan||Music Director (Berlin Symphony)|
|Seiji Ozawa||Music Director (Boston Symphony)|
|Hilary Koprowski||Medical researcher (polio vaccine)|
|HRH Princess Margaret||British Royal Family|
|Dick Bertram||Boat broker and builder|
|Ann Sophie Mutter||Musician (violinist)|
|Robert Crandall||Former CEO, American Airlines|
|Barry Green||Indy Racing League Team Owner|
|Joe Vittorio||Businessman (CEOAvis/Hertz)|
|Jim Kilroy||Industrial Developer (LA)|
|Von Dutch||Pop Artist and craftsman|
|Tom Bentley||Electronics Designer (Apple, Dell)|
|Eric van t'Hooft||Designer, mfgr of cancer treatment equipment|
|Mike Wallace||Head of Nuclear Div., Constellation Energy|
|Russell Coutts||winner, 4 America's Cups (three as skipper)|
|Richard Matthews||Businessman (founder, Oyster marine); sailor|
- 1990 present: Freelance (film, print, television, and internet see above)
- 1988-1989: Editor, TheYACHT magazine
- 1986-1993: Freelance (print and tv); Columnist, YACHT CAPITAL (Italy)
- 1984-1986: Founding Editor, TheYACHT magazine
- 1975 to present / Freelance print work includes Life; Look; Esquire; Sports Illustrated; The New York Times (and Business Magazine); Geo; American Photographer; Washington Post Magazine; Nautical Quarterly; National Geographic; Sailing/Cruising World; Sail; Oyster News; Vis-a-Vis, Sailing, and others.
- 1972-1975: Director, Brown University News Bureau Weekly radio "Comment" (humor) on WBRU FM, Providence.
- 1970-1975: Freelance writer/photographer; commercial fisherman
- 1966-1970: Life Magazine (weekly): reporter, writer, Chicago Bureau, department head in New York (Youth and Education) covered Bob Dylan's European Tour, Woodstock Music Festival, Monterrey Pop Festival, Haight-Ashbury phenomenon, early astronaut stress training, experimental education, Andy Warhol, Boston Symphony in China, alternative religions, LA pop/drug/music scene....
- 1961-1966: Staff, Saturday Evening Post magazine (weekly)
- 1961 US Army; 1960 Brown University (BA); 1955 The Choate School
Married to Kathryn Kip Requardt // Residence since 1980: Oxford, Maryland